Zika Forum 2017
Zika 2017: Where Do We Go Next?
An Interactive Forum on Public Deliberation and Ethics for Better Policymaking
Thursday, April 6
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m
Braman Miller Center (Hillel)
1100 Stanford Dr, Coral Gables, FL 33146
The Zika outbreak, like all public health emergencies, raises a host ethical, social and political questions alongside scientific and clinical ones. Yet the ethical questions often go unaddressed. Building capacity for the ethical analysis of public health can help improve all aspects of the response.
Join the University of Miami’s Institute for Bioethics and Health Policy and the Miami Clinical & Translational Science Institute for an interactive forum on the next phase of Zika response, focused on the role of ethics and public deliberation to improve decision making.
The forum will combine expert-led presentations on ethics, science, public health and politics of Zika with interactive sessions about how deliberation can inform the Zika response.
This event is free but registration is required. Registered attendees will receive breakfast and lunch. Space is limited – don’t delay! REGISTER HERE
AGENDA & PROGRAM
- John C. Beier, Sci.D, Professor and Director, Division Environmental and Public Health, UM Miller School of Medicine
- Kata Chillag, Ph.D., Associate Director, Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues
- Christine L. Curry, M.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology, UM Miller School of Medicine
- Amy L. Fairchild, Ph.D., M.P.H., Associate Dean, Academic Affairs at the Texas A&M School of Public Health
- Jennifer L. Gibson, Ph.D., Director, Joint Centre for Bioethics, SunLife Financial Chair, University of Toronto
- Kenneth W. Goodman, Ph.D., FACMI, Director, Institute for Bioethics and Health Policy, UM Miller School of Medicine
- Alina Hudak, Deputy Mayor, Miami-Dade County
- Roderick K. King, M.D., M.P.H, Associate Professor, Department of Public Health Sciences; Assistant Dean, MD/MPH Program, UM Miller School of Medicine
- Lisa M. Lee, Ph.D., M.A., M.S., Executive Director, Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues
- Stephanie Morain, Ph.D., M.P.H., Assistant Professor, Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy, Baylor College of Medicine
- Abdul Memon, M.D., FACP, FACEP, Chief Medical Officer for Disaster & Emergency Preparedness, Jackson Health System
- Celeste Philip, M.D., State Surgeon General and Secretary, Florida Department of Health
- José Szápocznik, Ph.D., Professor and Chair Emeritus, Department of Public Health Sciences, UM, Miller School of Medicine
- Steven G. Ullmann, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Department of Health Sector Management and Policy, and Director, Center for Health Sector Management and Policy
For more information, contact Adriane Gelpi, PhD, MPH, Assistant Professor, Institute for Bioethics and Health Policy and the Department of Public Health Sciences at the UM Miller School of Medicine: firstname.lastname@example.org