9th Annual CHW/Promotores Symposium Returns to S. Florida
The Miami CTSI was a co-sponsor of the 9th Annual Community Health Worker/Promotores Southeast Florida Regional Symposium, which took place on April 26 in Royal Palm Beach and on April 30 at the Miami Dade College Hialeah Campus.
More than 150 community health workers (CHWs)/promotores de salud as well as health and human service professionals gathered to receive training as well as network with many representatives from other community organizations, program funders, and health industry professionals. Topics included:
- Opioid Misuse and Addiction: Strategies for Community Health Workers Prevention
- Health Promotion & Wellness in our Changing Communities
- CHW Certification & Renewal Update
- Supporting Pediatric Physical & Emotional Resilience After Hurricanes
- Precision Medicine
- Expanding the HIV Care Continuum: A CHW Approach to Prevention and care
- Basics of Alzheimer’s for Community Health Workers
- Understanding Lupus as a CHW
- Colorectal Cancer: Screening, Prevention, Treatment
Afternoon training sessions were available in both English and Spanish. The Miami CTSI’s CASE Program Manager, Brendaly Rodriguez, was one of several featured speakers. Rodriguez is also CHW Work Group Leader for Health Council of South Florida and and Immediate Past Co-President of the FL CHW Coalition, Inc.
Miami-Dade Health Action Network, Florida Community Health Worker Coalition, Health Council of Southeast Florida, Health Council of South Florida, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Quantum Foundation, South University, Lake Okeechobee Rural Health Network, Inc., AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Florida Department of Health, Everglades AHEC, AstraZeneca, Sunshine Health, Palm Beach County Medical Society Services, Vitas Healthcare, United HealthCare, All of Us Research Program, YMCA, Rapids Water Park, Carmine’s, LA-1 Nail Spa.